Reading – Students are using reading strategies to help us decode words. One strategy to remind your child of is: “move your eyes ahead of the word your mouth is reading.” This way they are ready for the next word.
Grammar – We are learning about commas in a series.
Writing – An explanatory writing test will be administered on Tuesday and Wednesday. Practice at home using the topic – how to ride a bike. Use these sentence frames to help:
Do you know how to _____________________?
Now you are an expert on __________________.
Math – We are reviewing the following concepts in Chapter 5:
- Solve addition and subtraction problem situations using the strategy make a model.
- Record related facts within 20.
- Identify related addition and subtraction facts within 20.
- Apply the inverse relationship of addition and subtraction.
- Use related facts to determine unknown numbers.
- Use a related fact to subtract.
- Choose an operation and strategy to solve an addition or subtraction word problem.
- Represent equivalent forms of numbers using sums and difference within 20.
- Determine if an equation is true or false.
Chapter 5 Math Test will be this Thursday.
Social Studies/Science – Students will continue to learn about the topic: Pilgrims and Native Americans
Essential Question: Who were the Pilgrims and Native Americans and why were they important?
Donations – First grade teachers are in need of white cardstock. Any donations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Dates to remember:
M, 11/4 – W, 12/4 * Toy Drive
(New Toys can be dropped off at the office)
M, 11/4 – W, 11/20 * Canned Food Drive
(Canned/boxed food can be collected in the classrooms)
Tu, 11/19 * PTA General Meeting 6:00 PM
Th, 11/20 * Restaurant Night FUNraiser (Blaze Pizza at Otay Ranch)
M, 11/25 – F, 11/29 * Thanksgiving Break
W, 11//4 * Walking Field Trip to Olympian High School